Thank you to everyone who came to the number of events we have held over this very busy time of the year, including the So & So Christmas Party, the We Are Here launch event, and the latest Club reading of Screen 9 by Kate Barton.
It has been great to see so many of you and wish you season’s greetings! And panto season is well and truly upon us! This will be the last newsletter before the New Year, so suffice it to say that we wish you a peaceful and health-filled festive period, with everything you could wish for both personally and professionally!
What Our Members Are Up To
- Vicki Berwick‘s piece Monkey Bars has been selected for the Katzpace Scratch night. It’s one of six pieces and is a one woman piece, about 10 mins long. The piece will be directed by Julia Levai.
- Nicholas Delvalle performs in Cinderella at the Stockwell Playhouse for a limited run so make sure to grab tickets while you can!
- Paul L Martin leads a practical workshop for performers embarking on their first solo cabaret/concert or seasoned artistes wishing to learn his techniques and tips from the past 25 years. Entitled Shaping Your Show, it will take place on 16 Feb in London.
- Check out Vanessa Bailey‘s short film Seeing Him on Vimeo. It is her first stab at producing and directing a film, and is only 9 minutes long so do give it a look!
- Graham Wyles has a number of new reviews out on StageTalk Magazine, so give them a read to see what’s going on in Bristol and Bath.
- Nicolette Kay directs New Shoes Theatre’s new production, Jeannie by Aimée Stuart, at the Finborough Theatre, opening this week. It closes on 22 Dec. And has received numerous 4 and 5 star reviews from the Evening Standard, Stagereview, and more!
- My Name is Cathy is new play being developed by Andrew Sharpe and Kat Rogers with a cast of So & So members. The play is of a woman’s rise and fall, with a coming of (middle) age, themes include a solo 50th birthday meal for one, post Blair despair, middle-class alcoholism, Ofsted, marriage breakdown, glass ceilings, and a stubbornly patriarchal family court system. They’re now arranging a workshop day early next year at one of the Club venues and need a director/facilitator. They have no funding, but could pay expenses and provide light refreshments. Please contact Kat with availability 12-31 Jan.
- Michelle McKay is working with Assembly Roxy to produce a new writing scratch night, Page2Stage Edinburgh. 4 extracts are selected to be performed as a directed rehearsed reading in front of an industry panel. A new and exciting event for the city. The first night kicked off 13 Nov and will run every 2 months in the first instance. For any Scottish or Edinburgh based members, we would love to see you there! Join the FB page and get involved!
- William Ilkley has agreed to remain with War Horse and The National Theatre until September 2020! He is currently appearing as Arthur Narracott in its UK Tour which started back in July 2017 – now at The Lyttleton Theatre – and the 2019/20 section of the tour will be both a UK and World Tour. William will then have done the show for just over 3 years and close to 1,000 performances!
- Paul Sockett will be performing in A Midsummer Night’s Dream for Honey-Tongued Productions in late-January at The Bermuda Festival of Performing Arts. The site-specific show was also performed at Fort Lovrijenac in Dubrovnik, Croatia in July as part of Midsummer Scene (an annual arts festival).
- Sarah Shelton is in snowy Frankfurt performing as Fraulein Schneider in Cabaret at the English Theatre there, until 10 Mar. It then transfers to Munich from 26 Mar – 3 Apr.
Congratulations to Beth Eyre, who has joined the Club as a Lifetime Members, along with Esme Thompson, who has joined as a yearly member.